Friday, September 26, 2008

Autumn is here!

I love this time of the year - the weather cools down, the leaves change color, and the pumpkins and squash arrive at the produce stand up the road. I've always liked being able to walk up the road and get fresh veggies and fruit when it's in season. Yesterday I felt the need for some squash soup. I really like this stuff - everyone else seems to like it too, leftovers disappear out of the fridge quickly so you have to move fast if you want any. The recipe uses butternut squash, which is a bit difficult to cut and peel so I usually score the outside, put it on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for an hour or two - until it's soft and cooked through. Then I let it cool for a bit and scrape out the inside of the squash to use in the soup (or whatever else you need it for). Here's the recipe - thanks to my sister for this one:

Corn and Squash Soup
12 Bacon strips, diced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 celery rib, chopped (I usually skip this because I usually don't have celery)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 can (14 1/2 oz.) chicken broth
6 cups mashed, cooked butternut squash
2 cans (8 3/4 oz. each) cream-style corn
2 cups half-and-half cream
1 tablespoon minced, fresh parsley (I use the dried)
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Sour cream (optional)
In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. In the drippings, sauté onion and celery until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
Reduce heat to medium. Stir in the squash, corn, cream, parsley, salt, pepper and bacon. Cook and stir until heated through. Garnish with sour cream if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2 1/2 quarts).

3 comments:

  1. That looks excellent! It needs to cool a bit more here before I start making soup, but I will have to try a veggie version of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really can't wait to try this! I've never made squash anything but have to give it a go. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a butternut squash casserole that I LOVE, so I am anxious to try this! Thanks for sharing! BTW, in case u are interested, you can take the squash after it is peeled and cut, layer it in a baking greased dish, then a layer of onion, of cheddar cheese, ritz crackers. Keep layering til all the squash is used. Pour in milk til 1/4 to 1/2 of pan has liquid, cover and bake at 350 for an hour or until squash is cooked. This is great and makes a nice tailgate dish!

    ReplyDelete